Saturday, March 21, 2009

Arizona (12) vs. Utah (5)


This is the first time all season that I have actually sat down and watched a basketball game. I figured that with the longest running streak of appearances in the Tourney (25), I should probably show the Wildcats some love. Plus, the Beach Boys always told me: Be true to your school, just like you would to your girl or guy. The Beach Boys, however, didn't say anything about letting your 5-year old son stay up until 10:30 being true to your school with you because I think the Beach Boys knew that any 5-year old would be too tired to function the following day. Where were you on that one Beach Boys? I could have used the heads up.

I was interested to see how my current school (Utah) would stand up against MY school (Arizona).

Arizona came out with a full-court press that Utah didn't know what to do with. The Wildcats jumped out to an early 3-point lead. Utah responded by tying the game at 3, at which point Arizona took over the game and lead by an average of 10 points for the rest of the game. The top scorers in the contest were Nic Wise with 29 points (21 in the second half), and Chase Budinger with 20 points. Jordan Hill dominated the boards with 13 rebounds. Nic Wise also lead the 'Cats with the most turnovers (5). I think at least 3 of his turnovers were made in an attempt to get Utah's center, Luke Nevill, to foul out. Nevill had 4 fouls for the better part of the second half but he never fouled out. Arizona won the game 71-84.

I'm excited that Arizona is moving on to the next round and I'm excited that Wake Forest was upset by the 13th seeded Cleveland State. I think that gives Arizona a good chance of getting into the Sweet 16. I hope they go far. Everyone said they didn't deserve to be in the Tournament but after they way they man-handled Utah last night, I think they've proven otherwise.

4 comments:

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

Great post but I still don't get why you had to quiz me after I read it! :) This one was a toss up for me since I grew up in a Ute household but I fell in love with the Wildcats a couple years ago. I really didn't care who won this one. We can still be married right?

Ryan said...

Is it me or does Chase Budinger look more like a cell phone salesman than a basketball player?

Carrie said...

Oooh...I'm gonna go with shoe salesman. :) Sorry to Joel. I still keep my oath to never make fun of Antoine Cason for you.